I’ve been trying to balance beauty/fashion posts with food and decor posts. Because the last few posts were about beauty and fashion, I thought I would share another recipe today, and as you can probably tell from the title, it is a recipe for red velvet cupcakes!
I can’t remember exactly where I got this recipe from, but I think it’s from my aunt. Anyways, I’ve been using this recipe for a while now and every time I make it I get compliments on the cupcakes so I know it’s good! Here it is!
For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/4 cup + 1 tbs of cake flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 85g unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons red food colouring
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
For the icing:
- 250g cream cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup icing sugar
- pinch of salt
What to do
- Start by preheating your oven at 180˚C and lining your cupcake pans, this recipe makes between 15 and 20 cupcakes depending on the size of your cupcake pans.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa and salt into a bowl, then set it aside
- In a different bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until they are light and fluffy
- Beat the eggs, vanilla and food colouring into the sugar and butter mixture
- Add one-third of the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture
- Once they’re well mixed together, add half of the buttermilk, then another third of the flour mixture, followed by the rest of the buttermilk, and finally, mix in the rest of the flour
- In a small separate bowl, mix the vinegar and baking soda, then mix this mixture in with the rest of the batter
- Divide the batter evenly between the cups and place the pans in the oven. Bake them for 20-25 minutes, or until they’re firm. Once they’re done, leave them to cool on a cooling rack
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the icing. Start by blending the cream cheese and the butter together until smooth.
- Add in the icing sugar, salt and vanilla to the mixture and blend it all together until fluffy
- Finally, once the icing is finished and the cupcakes are cooled, start icing them! You can ice them however you want, with a spatula or piping bag, whatever you want to make them beautiful!
Send me a picture at email@example.com if you make these cupcakes!
See you in the next post! ♥